Welcome to the DC Fiscal Policy Institute’s Budget Toolkit!
Here you will find resources to help you understand the annual budget process in DC.
That includes an in-depth guide and tools to understand the fiscal year (FY) 2016 budget proposed by Mayor Bowser on April 2nd, 2015, which will be voted on by the DC Council on May 27th.
Several DC agencies will be holding briefings to help the public better understand the changes to their FY 2016 budgets and provide an opportunity to ask questions. Click here to get the dates and times.
If you want e-mail updates on the FY 2016 budget from DCFPI, sign up here.
Fiscal Year 2016 Budget Guide
In order to help you understand the FY 2016 budget, DCFPI has released an in-depth analysis of the entire proposed FY 2016 DC budget and analyses of several individual program areas. (See below.)
- DCFPI Budget Spreadsheet: This downloadable spreadsheet includes information on local funding for all DC agencies from FY 2000 to FY 2016
- DCFPI FY 2016 Chartbook
- District Government Resources
- Analysis of Key Issue Areas:
|Employment and Training||Interim Disability Service (IDA)|
|Health Care||Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF)|
|Homeless Services||Tax and Revenue|
Becoming a DC Budget Advocate
Looking to get involved but don’t know where to start? These documents will help you get more familiar with the budget process in DC, as well as with how we earn the revenue to support our budget.
- DCFPI’s Quick Guide to the 2016 Budget Process & Timeline
- DCFPI’s Citizen’s Guide to the DC Budget
- DCFPI Guide to Where the District Gets its Revenue
- DCFPI’s Guide to School Funding
Stay Up To Date!
Sign up for budget updates from DCFPI! We will send weekly e-mails through budget season including
- Updates on budget happenings
- An overview of budget related blogs
- Opportunities to get involved in budget advocacy